On with the blogging.
Two weeks ago I went to Michigan for the wedding of one of my best friends. The bride and groom met at the University of Michigan, so the wedding was held in Ann Arbor. I had never been to Michigan before, but having lived with the bride for five years, watching lots of Michigan sporting events, and hearing all about the place, I was excited to finally see what it was all about.
First of all, the campus at the University of Michigan is beautiful. I got a walking tour and the place was just so green. I liked how you could hang out amid this lovely scenery or walk just down the street and find a bunch of little shops and restaurants. I have not been to many large university campuses, so I was really marveling at the size of everything. At one point we were driving and the stadium came out of nowhere, with the gigantic letter M towering above us. Did you know that it's the largest football stadium in the country? Well, it is.
I had heard lots of rumors about the thriving vegan scene in Ann Arbor, and I will cut to the chase and say I was not disappointed. I will also say that I am always amazed when friends go out of their way to make sure I have something decent to eat. Especially when it's their wedding weekend. When I arrived we ate at a place called Seva Restaurant. It was a large restaurant, for a vegan joint, and everything on the menu sounded excellent. I wanted to try everything, but I went for the Cilantro-Peanut Stir Fry. It was kind of spicy and really delicious. The menu also included a bunch of juices, desserts, and even milk shakes. I recommend it if you are ever in the area. As we were driving around, I noticed a bunch of other places with "vegan" in the title, so I'm going to go ahead and say there are many other veg-friendly options, as well.
The wedding was held at the Ann Arbor Brewing Company. Generally there are not too many vegan choices at breweries so I did not have high hopes. I was wrong. I almost fell over when they brought out an entire "Special Diet" menu for me to choose from. I chose the Vegan Boxy Stack, which was "two sweet potato and lentil cakes layered with spicy arugula, juicy tomato, fresh guacamole and thin-cut beer battered onion rings, topped with lemon tahini dip. served with today’s seasonal vegetable." I regret that I did not take a picture. It was a fantastic meal, and I couldn't even finish the whole thing. There were also vegan spring rolls at the cocktail hour, and two vegan cupcakes for me (they are pictured in a separate box off to the side).
It's a good thing I ate so much, because there was a lot of dancing to be done! I had a great time at the wedding, and in Ann Arbor overall. I even got hit on by the brother of a celebrity. But that's another story.
Blogger's Soundtrack
Iggy Azalea - "Fancy"
No comments:
Post a Comment