Monday, September 22, 2014

Vegan Mac and "Cheese"

I've been told I don't update the blog enough.  Which is true.  The start and end of the school year are the most hectic times for teachers, besides Thanksgiving, Christmas, standardized testing... actually, it's crazy all the time, so this is no excuse.  One of my coworkers started a vegan meal exchange, because as it happens, there are now two other vegans and two vegetarians on the staff this year.  The idea was that each person would cook one giant meal on Sunday nights, portion it out, and switch at work on Monday in order to enjoy a wider variety during the week without all the work.  The first week I prepared a chickpea kale stew and ended up with a bean and potato casserole and a sweet potato beet hash.  Both were tasty!  The next time I didn't end up participating, but one of the teachers brought in a butternut squash mac and "cheese" with kale.  I was jealous and decided to make my own mac and "cheese."  Obviously I got on Pinterest to do some "research."  I found this recipe for Cauliflower Macaroni and "Cheese."  I used shells instead of macaroni pasta, to which I have a weird aversion, and skipped the last step with the Panko bread crumbs and broiling.  This was also the first time I've ever cooked with nutritional yeast - don't know how that happened.  It took me a minute to get over the fact that I was eating something that looked like cheese but was not actually cheese, but once I did, I liked it a lot.  Way healthier than what I used to eat in college. 

Blogger's Soundtrack
Kasey Musgraves - "Follow Your Arrow"


No comments:

Post a Comment