Friday, August 8, 2014

Vegan Wanderlust

I've had quite an eventful summer - probably the busiest one I've had in a long time - from running the summer school program to catching up with friends and family on Long Island, to having my brother out to Boston for a week and visiting Portland, Maine- it has been lots of fun.  I tried to think about some vegan themes that popped up over the past month, but really I just encountered a bunch of vegan things that I loved in a variety of places.  So this may a bit random, but summer is all about having the freedom to explore- whether it's taking the time to discover something new at the grocery store, try a new recipe, or take a road trip.  Here's what I found.  Enjoy.

Endangered Species Dark Chocolate with Blueberries
I love this brand but I had never tasted the blueberry variety - it's so good!  Throw some extra antioxidants in with my dark chocolate and I'm not going to complain about it.

Trader Joe's Super Spinach Salad
I think this may be my favorite salad ever - it includes edamame, pumpkin seeds, quiona, dried cranberries, and a delicious carrot-ginger dressing. Here's a link to make the salad yourself, but seriously, just drop by Trader Joe's and pick it up for $4.  I would not mind eating it daily.


Gorgeous Gelato - Portland, Maine
The place has vegan gelato - who knew this even existed?  It seems like they have a few different vegan varieties each day.

Vegan Cupcakes at Local Sprouts Cooperative - Portland, Maine
I've talked about this place before, but I must now mention the gigantic strawberry-vanilla cupcake I ate single-handedly on my latest visit.  Where has this cupcake been all my life.



This Recipe for Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
Acquire an ice cream maker and make some at once.

Homemade Sangria
I tried this recipe and I would probably add less soda next time.  I love love love Sangria in the summer so I'll continue experimenting on this front.

Vegan Food at Weddings
There was a time when I worked in catering - tuxedo and all - and let me tell you, when someone requested a vegetarian meal, they got some pasta with a few vegetables on top.  This has led me to harbor anxiety at wedding receptions.  But look at the kinds of things I get to eat!  Delightful!


Iced Tea
I've gotten really into iced tea this summer.  I enjoy the variety of iced teas at Starbucks and a friend introduced me to Steaz.

Cornbread Waffles with Peach Compote at Root
I love Root.  They have the best vegan brunch in the world.  My brother ordered these waffles and they were amazing.


Smoothies at Life Alive - Cambridge, MA
I love Life Alive but I rarely go there.  It's a shame, too, because the Elvis smoothie is incredible - peanut butter, cocoa powder, Fomu ice cream, banana, and rice milk.  All the components of my perfect meal.

Shiraleah Vegan Leather
I spent the entire summer looking for an awesome wallet, and I finally scored one made from vegan leather while in Portland.  And it only cost $12!


It's been a good summer.  Really, vegans, the world is your oyster.  Except leave those poor oysters alone.




Blogger's Soundtrack
John Mayer - Cover of Beyonce's "XO"
Listen to the Afternoon Acoustic station on Spotify - it's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment