Sunday, June 15, 2014

Vegan in Ann Arbor, Michigan

The number of posts on this blog directly correlates to the amount of spare time in my schedule.  I have not posted since April.  Any teacher knows the beginning of the school year and the end of the school year are the best of times and the worst of times.  But mostly the worst of times with regard to the amount of items on the to-do list.  That being said, there are two weeks left until summer vacation and I cannot wait.

On with the blogging.

Two weeks ago I went to Michigan for the wedding of one of my best friends.  The bride and groom met at the University of Michigan, so the wedding was held in Ann Arbor.  I had never been to Michigan before, but having lived with the bride for five years, watching lots of Michigan sporting events, and hearing all about the place, I was excited to finally see what it was all about. 

First of all, the campus at the University of Michigan is beautiful.  I got a walking tour and the place was just so green.  I liked how you could hang out amid this lovely scenery or walk just down the street and find a bunch of little shops and restaurants.  I have not been to many large university campuses, so I was really marveling at the size of everything.  At one point we were driving and the stadium came out of nowhere, with the gigantic letter M towering above us.  Did you know that it's the largest football stadium in the country?  Well, it is.






I had heard lots of rumors about the thriving vegan scene in Ann Arbor, and I will cut to the chase and say I was not disappointed.  I will also say that I am always amazed when friends go out of their way to make sure I have something decent to eat.  Especially when it's their wedding weekend.  When I arrived we ate at a place called Seva Restaurant.  It was a large restaurant, for a vegan joint, and everything on the menu sounded excellent.  I wanted to try everything, but I went for the Cilantro-Peanut Stir Fry.   It was kind of spicy and really delicious. The menu also included a bunch of juices, desserts, and even milk shakes.  I recommend it if you are ever in the area.  As we were driving around, I noticed a bunch of other places with "vegan" in the title, so I'm going to go ahead and say there are many other veg-friendly options, as well. 



The wedding was held at the Ann Arbor Brewing Company.  Generally there are not too many vegan choices at breweries so I did not have high hopes.  I was wrong.  I almost fell over when they brought out an entire "Special Diet" menu for me to choose from.  I chose the Vegan Boxy Stack, which was "two sweet potato and lentil cakes layered with spicy arugula, juicy tomato, fresh guacamole and thin-cut beer battered onion rings, topped with lemon tahini dip. served with today’s seasonal vegetable."  I regret that I did not take a picture.  It was a fantastic meal, and I couldn't even finish the whole thing.  There were also vegan spring rolls at the cocktail hour, and two vegan cupcakes for me (they are pictured in a separate box off to the side).


It's a good thing I ate so much, because there was a lot of dancing to be done!  I had a great time at the wedding, and in Ann Arbor overall.  I even got hit on by the brother of a celebrity.  But that's another story.




Blogger's Soundtrack
Iggy Azalea - "Fancy"
 



No comments:

Post a Comment