Monday, April 21, 2014

black bean, sweet potato, and red quinoa stuffed peppers

Happy Spring!  It's April break for teachers here in Boston, and I have a gigantic to-do list, Rory Gilmore style.  I've become immersed in spring cleaning over the past few days, along with taking on some crafty projects, and planning out my balcony garden.  I'm also back into running, now that I'm no longer limited to the treadmill, and I'm trying to get back into vegan cooking and baking!  It's going to be a productive week.

Speaking of cooking, yesterday I tried something new for Easter dinner.   I love stuffed peppers, and I actually had not made them in years, when I came across this recipe on Pinterest, and decided to alter it a bit.  Red quinoa, sweet potatoes, black beans, and red bell peppers - some of my favorite foods thrown together - and let me tell you, the results were incredible.  I topped the whole thing off with avocado and grape tomatoes to substitute for the cheese.  This is one of the best dishes I've ever made.  And it was not hard. 


Ingredients
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup red quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 red bell peppers, sliced in half with seeds removed
olive oil cooking spray
Avocado and tomatoes

Directions
1.  Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Combine the red quinoa and vegetable broth and cook according to package directions.
3.  Fill a medium pot with water and add the diced sweet potatoes.  Bring to a boil and cook for about 8 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.  Drain.
4.  Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet until translucent.  Add the black beans, cumin, and chili powder.
5.  Combine the red quinoa, sweet potatoes, and onions/black bean mix in the skillet.
6.   Arrange the bell peppers in a Pyrex dish.  Coat the peppers and dish with cooking spray.  Fill the peppers with the quinoa mixture. 
7.  Bake for 25 minutes.
8.  Top the peppers with sliced avocado and tomatoes to serve.


The great thing about this recipe is that you can do each step while you wait for the previous pot to cook.  It does require two small pots, a skillet, and a Pyrex dish, which is a lot if you're working in a small kitchen, but it's doable.  This meal is super healthy, incorporating protein with the quinoa, healthy fats with the avocado, and lots of Vitamin A with the sweet potato and red peppers.  It's also super filling.  So try it! 




Soundtrack
Juanes - "La Luz"

 

No comments:

Post a Comment