Sunday, March 9, 2014

Brunch at Root

In Phoenix there were not many places serving vegan brunch.  In fact, I can only think of one.  I was pleasantly surprised when I moved to Boston and discovered that there were not only lots of vegan restaurants, but many of them also served weekend brunch.  Super -- only I never actually got around to going to said brunches because I was busy doing things like laundry and school work.  Excuses, excuses.  This morning I did the laundry extra early, went for a run, and then walked over to brunch with a friend.  It was slightly colder than the 50 degrees we saw yesterday in this neck of the woods, but still good weather to go for a walk, and to wait outside in the sun for a table to open up at Root.

The place serves brunch from 9:30-2:30 on Saturdays and Sundays.  We got there at about 11:45 and waited forty minutes for a table.  It's kind of what I expected, since the restaurant is quite small.  The restaurant was occupied by a crowd of twenty-somethings sporting thick-rimmed glasses, combat boots, and dresses with leggings.  You know, the usual.  We were seated at a high-top at the window- our favorite spot to people-watch.  The menu was actually a bit different than the one I had seen on their website.  There were two different types of pancakes, and neither had fruit as an option, while waffles were not listed at all.  I ordered the vanilla pancakes (with 100% maple syrup) and sweet potato home rries.  My friend selected the tostadas, which also looked like a new menu item to me, and home fries (clearly).  

The food was served pretty quickly, and it was really, really good.  The pancakes were so vanilla-y and topped with powdered sugar.  The sweet potatoes were just the way I like them - roasted to perfection.  The meal was huge, so I ended up bringing some of the sweet potatoes home with me.  Tomorrow's lunch will be stellar!  The tostadas got the thumbs up from my friend.  I am not a fan of savory breakfast foods, but they looked lovely, if you like that sort of thing!





I don't know why I waited so long to try brunch at Root, but I will definitely be back.  I should also get around to trying out some of the other vegan brunches in Boston.  So many vegan adventures await.

Blogger's Soundtrack
Vance Joy - "Riptide"
I saw this band open for Young the Giant last weekend, and I liked this song.



No comments:

Post a Comment