Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Vegan Lunch

I've got a snow day, I've got a snow day, I've got a snow day, hey, hey, hey, hey!  Someone was talking about The Little Rascals the other day at work.  That movie was a big hit when I was in third or fourth grade, with kids spouting lines from the movie all the time.


Speaking of third grade, I have been bringing one of four types of sandwiches to school for lunch since around that time.  When I was younger, it would often be turkey or muenster cheese.  Then it was peanut butter for a number of years.  Since going vegan, I've eaten a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch every day (for four years).  It's not that I don't like other lunch foods, or that there aren't lots of other vegan options.  I just really like peanut butter and jelly.  Lately, however, I've been jonesing for a change.  I'm at school from 7-5, and the PB&J just hasn't been cutting it.  I end up eating lots of snacks that I don't even like, such as these dinosaur lemon graham crackers, which are always around the school building.  I also realized that I don't take a lunch break 90% of the time, which makes PB&J a convenient choice, but which also contributes to my general exhaustion by the end of each day.  So in addition to adding some variety to my daily menu, I've decided to take a few minutes for myself each day.  Crazy.

With that in mind, I whipped up a Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad this weekend in preparation for the week ahead.  The recipe can be found at the link.  It involves quinoa, tomatoes, cucumber, edamame, scallions, and chopped cilantro, and it's really delicious.  I served it with hummus in a whole wheat pita pocket.  Without the hummus I found it kind of bland, so it also tastes great if you mix some hummus in with the salad while you eat.  I purchased some single serving packages of hummus for work, and it's been easy to pack this lunch the night before.



For my next lunch, I plan on bringing black beans and sweet potatoes with avocado and tomato and a small tortilla.  It's also going to be great.  I generally cook my meals for the week on Sunday nights.  Now I whip up enough food for a week's worth of lunches on Sunday mornings.  It just takes a bit of extra planning.  Whether it's making a terrific lunch or taking a walk on your lunch break, do something for yourself each day!


Blogger's Soundtrack
The Temper Trap - "Sweet Disposition"

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled across a fantastic salad that I have made for lunch many times. It consists of diced mango, black beans, diced red onions, and cilantro. I sometimes eat it with tortilla chips, or my new favorite, topping a half an avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Article help me fined the beast vegan makeup products and also food control beast idea thanks fr blog

    ReplyDelete