Monday, January 20, 2014

Book Review: One Dish Vegan

My kitchen is small.  It's a very retro galley kitchen- quite narrow with cabinets so high I need a step ladder to reach the second shelf.  The stove and oven are two separate entities on opposite sides of the kitchen.  The oven is more like the "Easy Bake" variety than a full sized kitchen appliance.  I can't keep much food in stock because there simply isn't anywhere to put it.  Needless to say, I have to get a little creative with organization and when preparing large meals.  I am proud to say that I have hosted several successful dinner parties, cooking everything in shifts throughout the day and running the dishwasher before the guests arrived.  Yes, I do have a dishwasher, which is more than some people in Boston can say.

This kitchen has forced me to be a minimalist in terms of what I own and store, and most of the time in terms of what I cook.  That's why I'm pretty excited about the book I just bought, One Dish Vegan.  It's written by the same author as Vegan on the Cheap, which I also love.

Things I like about this book:
    -The recipes do not call for weird ingredients. 
    -Total prep and cook time is typically about 30 minutes.
    -Many of the recipes incorporate kale.  Love.
    -As the title suggests, you only need one giant pot or dish to make a great meal.


Some of the recipes I'm excited to try:
    -Lemony quinoa with spinach and chickpeas
    -Black bean and avocado rice salad
    -Lentil and butternut soup
    -Black bean soup with kale and sweet potatoes


Recipes I have already tried:
    -Chickpea and kale stew
    -Tunisian chickpeas with sweet potatoes and greens




Both of the meals I have tried so far have been great! I served the second one with quinoa just for the heck of it.  Quick, delicious, and healthy - woo hoo!  I recommend this book for anyone who has a packed schedule and doesn't have the time to cook every night.  I threw together one of these meals and ate it for the rest of the week.


Blogger's Soundtrack
"The Moon Song"
I went to see Her this weekend at an independent theater that I love.  It was profound and esoteric. And Joaquin Phoenix is vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment