Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Vegan Grilling Part 2: Grill Your Pizza

This week I started reading The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubino.  She writes,
My research had revealed that challenge and novelty are key elements to happiness.  The brain is stimulated by surprise, and successfully dealing with an expected situation gives a powerful sense of satisfaction.  If you do new things-- visit a museum for the first time, learn a new game, travel to a new place, meet new people-- you're more apt to feel happy than people who stick to more familiar activities... This is one of the paradoxes of happiness, we seek to control our lives, but the unfamiliar and the unexpected are important sources of happiness.  (74)
Going vegan has given me new challenges- from the early days of restocking the cabinets and reading food labels religiously to finding veg-friendly restaurants and ordering off not so veg-friendly menus.  I really enjoy trying out new recipes and putting together my own meals, and I haven't been doing enough of it lately.

That being said, I make pizza a lot, but I have never grilled it before.  I used my vegan pizza recipe and the steps for grilled pizza found here, which are basically the same regardless of which site you visit.  I was apprehensive about doing this, because I envisioned the dough dripping between the grates.  This actually didn't happen, but the dough did cook very quickly, so you must be ready to flip it fast.  This is the trickiest part.  We actually ended up using broiler pans for the second two pizzas, but then we sacrificed that "grilled" taste.  All three pizzas tasted incredible, though -- maybe even better than traditional oven-baked pizza. 

Here's what I'll be sure to do next time:
  • Shape the dough into personal-sized pizzas.  It was hard to flip the dough because it was too large.
  • Invest in a large spatula for flipping.  My brother actually wants to buy a pizza spade.
  • Make sure you have everything you need outside, including pot holders.  You have to work quickly so you don't end up with a scorched mess!
  • Work with multiple people.  Between flipping the dough and adding all the layers of ingredients, you need some assistance at the grill. 




Like most vegan challenges, this one was definitely worth all the work.  


Blogger's Soundtrack
Calvin Harris ft. Ellie Goulding - "I Need Your Love"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment