Thursday, June 14, 2012

Green and Broadening Horizons

Last night I had dinner at Green New American Vegetarian Restaurant.  It was the start of my Farewell to Phoenix Tour, whereupon I will hit up some of my favorite spots before I move to Boston.  However, as embarrassing as this is to admit for a vegan living in Phoenix, I had never actually eaten at Green before.  It's especially strange since I frequently go to Nami, which is right next door, and operated by the same people!  Therefore, this was an "I have to go there before I leave" type thing.   

Green is a a vegan restaurant with locations in Tempe and Central Phoenix.  The Central Phoenix locale is a pretty recent development.  While I had never eaten at Green before, I had been to one in Tempe five years ago, when I first moved to Phoenix.  At that time, I was an extremely picky eater, to put things mildly, and I could not find anything on the menu that I would eat.  I guess this shows how much I have changed, because this time it took me a while to decide what to pick from the extensive list of options on the menu.  I'm not a fan of mock meats, and frankly, vegan cheese frightens me, so there were some dishes I immediately crossed off the list.  My friend and I shared the samosas appetizer to start, and I went with the Coconut Curry Bowl with brown rice and crispy tofu as my entree.  Both were really delicious. I don't usually eat tofu, and the Coconut Curry dish would have been fine without tofu or any of the mock meat choices.  I would also add that the dishes were very well priced- $4.50 for the appetizer and $7.50 for the bowl.     

I don't have much time left in Phoenix, but I would definitely like to hit Green (and Nami) again before I leave.  I've been vegan for two years now, and it is one of the best life choices I have made.  I've tried so many new things and I feel healthier and happier in general.  Taking on this lifestyle has allowed me to broaden my horizons.  It has made me think more about where my food comes from and the impact of what I put into my body.  It has turned me on to the "Green" scene, both with regard to this lovely restaurant and also my outlook on how I impact the planet as an individual.  

Blogger's Soundtrack: Jason Mraz - "You and I Both"
I have recently become obsessed with Jason Mraz, who, by the way, happens to be vegan.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment