Monday, April 9, 2012

Vegan Easter

Yesterday I cooked a feast for Easter.  I'm not sure what a traditional Easter meal entails besides perhaps a gigantic roast of some sort.  I just looked through my cookbooks and selected some dishes that looked delicious and were fancier and more time-consuming that something I would normally make.  The menu included garlic basamati rice and chickpeas romesco from Veganomicon, along with roasted broccoli and asparagus.  For dessert there was carrot cake with vanilla frosting from Babycakes.


Everything turned out fantastic.  The sauce on the chickpea romesco dish was amazing, and was everybody's favorite.  It involved roasting red bell peppers, pureeing these along with diced tomatoes, and then simmering with garlic, shallots, and a number of other different ingredients.  I was in the kitchen for a long time, but it was definitely worth it.  There were no Easter baskets or colored eggs, but there was good food and good conversation, which I prefer any day.

Chef's Soundtrack: Brandi Carlile - "The Story"




No comments:

Post a Comment