Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Rolls

I have been thinking about making cinnamon rolls since the last time I was on break from school at Christmastime.  I often bring in cinnamon rolls for my morning class and I can never eat them!  I had originally wanted to use a recipe from Vegetarian Times for "Sweet Potato and Pecan Cinnamon Buns with Maple Glaze," but the thought of cooking and mashing sweet potatoes on a Sunday morning did not seem appealing.  I saw a recipe for "Coffee Cake Cinnamon Rolls with Orange Frosting" which seemed more doable, so I decided to use that one instead, making some of my own modifications.

The recipe was not complicated.  You make the dough, roll it out, and cover it with the vegan butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and walnut toppings.  It was a lot of fun, and reminded me of the time we made cinnamon rolls in "Careers" class in seventh grade.  I discovered that I need a new rolling pin because both of the handles kept falling off while I attempted to roll out the dough.  I am working in a hodge-podge kitchen, so things like this tend to happen a lot.  After all of that, I rolled up the dough and sliced it into ten lovely rolls.





The recipe called for more brown sugar and walnuts, but I thought there was already plenty, so I didn't add any more to the top.  I also did not have any vegan cream cheese, so I had to forgo the frosting.  The house smelled great as these were baking, and I couldn't wait to try them.



I have to say that I was kind of disappointed with the overall flavor of  the dough.  I didn't add as much of the extras as the recipe suggested, but the dough itself didn't taste sweet enough.  Maybe sugar or cinnamon should have been added to the dough itself.  They sure looked nice, though.  Baking on Sunday mornings is the best.     


Chef's Soundtrack:  Maroon 5 -  "Sunday Morning" on Jack Johnson Pandora Station


2 comments:

  1. What perfect cinnamon rolls - beautifully presented and ultimate breakfast :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete