Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spicy Lemon Black Bean Hummus

I'm on spring break, so I'm getting all kinds of things done that have been on the "to-do" list for ages.  For example, I made these cute rustic candle holders (by made, I mean I tied some lace around a mason jar and inserted a candle):



I have also been trying out some new recipes.  Today I made black bean hummus by slightly modifying a recipe I found on allrecipes.com.  You might have inferred from my title that I found the results spicy.  My mouth was on fire after a few tastes, but my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, since it doesn't take much for my nose to start running, eyes watering, and tongue tingling.  Apparently the Southwest cuisine hasn't made enough of an impact on me yet.  I could also definitely taste the lemon juice alongside the cumin and cayenne pepper, though, and that evened things out.

 Ingredients
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper  

Directions
  • Mince the garlic in the food processor.
  • Mix all of the other ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
  • Add everything to the food processor and process until a smooth consistency is reached.
  • Chill in the refrigerator for about one hour before serving (at least I prefer it that way). 

This hummus was delicious, and I think it would also taste great with the traditional chickpeas rather than black beans. 

My cat always tries to steal our chips. 


Chef's Soundtrack: The Beatles - "Twist and Shout"
I periodically go through Beatles phases.


No comments:

Post a Comment