Saturday, March 10, 2012

"Keeping it Fresh" with Fajitas

One of my favorite things to do on Saturday mornings is to go downtown to the Phoenix Open Air Market.  If you live in Phoenix and you haven't been yet, you are missing out!  There are lots of food vendors, including produce, baked goods, and local arts and crafts.  There are usually various food trucks and often live music.  I haven't tried out anything from the food trucks, but I have been told that there are tasty vegan options; more to come on that later.

Today was the perfect day to stroll around downtown and check out the Market.  I visited the Treehouse (vegan!) Bakery and picked up my favorite chocolate chip macadamia cookies, freshly made whole wheat tortillas from Tortillas Rosario, and lovely tomatoes and romaine lettuce at other stands.  I got back into my car munching on a vegan cookie, blasting The Beatles, and feeling great about purchasing fresh and delicious food and supporting local business.  Plus, the tomatoes, lettuce, and tortillas would work perfectly for vegetable fajitas tonight.

There are lots of variations on fajitas, but my recipe is pretty great.  If you want to have a fantastic fajita, make sure you have fresh ingredients first!

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 white onion
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp dried cilantro
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
1 small zucchini squash
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 lime


Directions:
1.  Heat olive oil in large skillet.
2.  Slice onion into thin slivers and simmer until translucent.  Chop garlic and continue to simmer for 2 minutes.  Add cumin and cilantro.
3.  Add sliced bell peppers and zucchini squash.  Simmer for 5 minutes or until cooked.
4.  Add black beans.  Squeeze lime juice over the entire dish. Simmer until heated.

You can add whatever you like to top off your fajita.  I went with mashed avocado, chopped tomatoes, and lettuce.  I used the freshly made tortillas I mentioned earlier, and this dish was fantastic.  I ended up with enough food to make four generous fajitas. 


A few weeks ago I found the following message written on my board at the end of the school day:


This recipe is definitely fresh.  In both senses of the word.

Chef's Soundtrack: The Beatles: "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"

 
"Lala how life goes on."

No comments:

Post a Comment