Saturday, February 4, 2012

Vegan Sushi Experience

Tonight I went to a sushi bar for the first time.  I must say that I have harbored a few preconceived notions about sushi, which is why I have not tried it before.  First of all, even though people have told me about the many vegetable options, I still believed that it was all about the raw fish.  Seafood has always disturbed me, and the concept of watching other people eat it raw was not on my list of top things to do.  I was also under the impression that it would not be very filling.  Those vegetable rolls always looked like more of an appetizer than an actual meal.  Tonight I put these ideas aside and I can say that I was pleasantly surprised by the sushi experience.

As it turns out, sushi is one of the most vegan-friendly restaurant options available.  You just have to know which questions to ask!  The manager came over to our table and was kind enough to answer all of our questions and figure out how to make the meal work for us.  Make sure you find out whether the tempura batter is made with eggs.  At this restaurant, they were able to whip up a different batter without the eggs.  You should also clarify whether bonito flakes (made with fish) are used to season anything that appears vegan.  At this place, the rice was seasoned with bonito flakes, so they made a different seasoning for me which omitted that ingredient.

I ended up trying steamed and salted edamame, vegetables tempura, and three types of rolls: cucumber, avocado, and vegetable.  Everything was delicious!  Every time I thought I was full, more food came to the table.  There was so much food that I ended up taking some home.  It was an extremely healthy, filling, and delicious meal.  I am officially convinced:  you don't have to eat raw fish at a sushi restaurant!




No comments:

Post a Comment