Saturday, February 11, 2012

Vegan on the Run

Lately I have been scoping out the blogosphere for recipes that are cheap and quick.  I have been super busy and stressed, while also operating under self-imposed budget constraints.  I have never been a fan of recipes involving long lists of ingredients, and usually reserve those for special occasions.  These days I am sticking to what's easiest, and since the point of this blog is to prove that vegan meals can, in fact, be easy and delicious, I am including my newest discoveries in this post. 

There are so many great vegan and vegetarian blogs out there, if one has the time to peruse the web.  I recently started using Finding Vegan to "find" some terrific blogs and recipes.  This is what I typically do while watching New Girl on Tuesday nights (by the way, is Zooey Deschanel vegan?  If she's not, it seems like she should be).  Then I try out the recipes on Saturday nights and save the leftovers for the rest of the week.

On Monday night I tried a recipe for "Classic Black Beans and Rice."  I liked the recipe because it integrated a green pepper and frozen corn into the dish.  Green peppers are always cheap, and I happened to have lots of frozen vegetables stocked in the freezer.  I used Minute Rice to cut back on the prep time and was able to jump in the shower while it simmered. The results were great!


Tonight I tried "Chickpea Curry," also using brown Minute Rice.  I found this dish to be a bit spicy; it calls for two tablespoons of garam masala, which I had not used before.  The entire meal took about twenty minutes to prepare, just as promised.  It was super easy and required few ingredients.  I even recommended it to my guy, who bases his meal choices solely on the required prep time.


Being vegan doesn't have to be time consuming.  Especially since I've already done all the legwork for you!

1 comment:

  1. I am not vegan but both dishes look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete