Sunday, February 19, 2012

Diced Vegetable "Tuscan" Dinner

Last night I decided to try a recipe I saw on Sometimes I "Veg" for a "Tuscan Skillet Supper," which was actually created by a guest contributor to the blog.  Therefore, this post is actually about a recipe three times removed.  I had planned on blogging about a fancy supper this weekend, but things changed and I was only up for throwing together a quick dish.  I modified the recipe a bit to suit my own tastes and the ingredients I had available.  Also, when I'm making a meal like this one, I don't really take the time to measure anything.  I just "eyeball" it and use my own judgement. 

Here's what my version included:

1/4 white onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
a few shakes of oregano
1 zuccini squash, diced
1 small head broccoli
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 can navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 handful fresh baby spinach

I ended up using my handy dandy vegetable dicer on most of the ingredients.  I just didn't feel like chopping anything by hand!  I cooked the whole thing in a skillet using safflower oil, which I accidentally pulled out of the cabinet rather than olive oil.  Safflower oil is heart-healthy and can be cooked at high temperatures.  After reading the label, I did learn that it should be kept in the refrigerator (oops!).  I also came to find out that cannellini beans and navy beans are not the same; the latter are smaller white beans.  I omitted the marinated tofu or tempeh and vegan cheese from the recipe.  I was once chastised by a vegetarian because I don't like tofu, but it's just not my favorite!

This "Tuscan" concoction turned out to be quite good.  It cooked really quickly, since everything was diced.  The larger pieces of broccoli served a nice contrast to the diced vegetables.  As a main course, I had enough for two dinners. 


On a side note, I have decided to add a "soundtrack" segment to my blog entries, since music has always been a huge part of cooking in my household.  I grew up listening to the likes of Billy Joel and The Beatles while cooking with my mom, and I rarely work in the kitchen without iTunes playing in the background these days.  Enjoy! 

Chef's Soundtrack: The Black Keys - El Camino

No comments:

Post a Comment