Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cilantro Hummus

Lately I have been very into hummus.  I keep ordering it as an appetizer each time I go out to eat, and then eating so much of it that I'm too full when the main course arrives.  I especially love it with pita bread or cucumbers. 

I'm very particular when it comes to hummus.  It must not be thin and runny.  I feel like everyone has their own preferences when it comes to hummus, which is why there are so many different flavors and consistencies.  This weekend I decided to make some of my own.  All I had to buy was the chickpeas and tahini, since I had everything else already in stock.  I had some cilantro in the fridge which was on it's way out, so I threw that in as well. 

Ingredients
2 cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons water
1 handful of fresh cilantro
juice of 1/2 lemon
5 tablespoons olive oil
3 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt


You basically throw all of this in a food processor until it purees.  I discovered that having a larger food processor would make this recipe a lot easier!  I had to make it in three batches because mine is the smallest model.  It came out pretty well, just the consistency that I prefer.  I formed a well in the center and drizzled a bit of olive oil over it before serving.  My taste tester gave it the stamp of approval. 





 Chef's Soundtrack: Ray LaMontagne - "Hannah"




2 comments:

  1. I had a friend suggest using peanut, almond, sunflower, whatever-nut-you-fancy butter if you ran out of tahini paste. I haven't tried it yet myself...but thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete