Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"Awesome" Avocados

Today one of my eighth graders used the word "awesome" at least five times in her persuasive essay.  As a teacher, one of my favorite things to do is to go through and circle any words that have been repeated multiple times.  That might sound mean, but I actually really enjoy editing other people's writing.  I'm a major perfectionist. 

Anyway, this evening I was preparing my dinner, and as the day's events were running through my mind, that word "awesome" popped into my head again.  Lately, I have been incorporating avocados into all of my salads, and yes, that word just about sums it up.  I recently acquired an avocado slicer, and it has become my new favorite kitchen tool.  I slice up an entire avocado and toss it into a spinach salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and red bell pepper, flavored with an olive oil and vinegar dressing.  Delicious and nutritious (sorry about that one).  Other times I will mash up an avocado and eat it with tortilla chips without adding other ingredients to make it official guacamole. 



Avocados are high in dietary fiber, vitamin K, and folate, to name a few key nutrients.  They are a high-fat food, but it's the healthy kind!  The fat in avocados promotes heart health and aid in the absorption of carotenoid antioxidants, among many other benefits.  My class recently read Pam Munoz Ryan's novel Esperanza Rising, in which the title character uses avocados to ease her dry and cracked skin.  I haven't tried that one out yet.  But it sounds pretty "awesome."

No comments:

Post a Comment